When working on your web pages, you will need to upload your files to your server, so everyone can see your work, right? In order to do this, you need to use some type of File Transfer Protocol (or FTP). Below, we will learn what an FTP is exactly, how to get ftp software and how to use your FTP!
What is FTP?
File Transfer Protocol or FTP, is a type of software that is used to upload and download your files to and from your web server. FTP are used by all web designers and are quite fast these days. Your probably asking by now, where can I get my own FTP software?
Getting an FTP
In order to learn how to use File Transfer Protocols, you’ll first have to either:
- Download FTP Software
- Use a Web-Based FTP
If you would like to download FTP software to your computer, Search Focus Ltd would like to recommend FileZilla. FileZilla is an easy to use ftp program that is installed on your computer with an easy setup installer. You can find instructions on how to install it on FileZilla’s homepage.
If you would prefer to login to your web server via an online web-based application (that your hosting company would provide), you can do that also. This is basically a drag-and-drop program that allows you to upload and download files to and from your computer, via means of an online application that requires no software downloads.
How to Setup an FTP
While we will be focusing on the features used in FileZilla, the below information can be used across any FTP platform.
When you first launch your FTP program, some sort of startup menu should appear. This wizard will allow you to add your website’s information. Once you’ve done this, you will be able to connect to your server and upload/download files. If you have the information needed already gathered up, this step should be a breeze. Below is a list of the most common settings you will be required to fill out:
- Profile Name – This is the name you would like to give your profile. Usually, this is your websites name.
- Host Name or Host Address – This is your domain name or server IP address.
- Port – Your server may be running through a certain port. If it is, this box is the place to input the port number.
- Servertype – This is almost always left on the default of “FTP” but can be changed to accommodate SSH and TLS/SSL connections.
- Logontype: – This is usually left as Normal, but if you are connecting to the server as a guest, you may need to change this box to conform to your needs.
- User – Enter your server username here.
- Password – Enter your server password here.
Once you have filled out the required information, save it and the wizard should then try to connect to your server, based on the settings you have applied. Once it connects, you will see all of the files on your computer on the left side of your FTP screen and all of the server files on the right side of your FTP screen. Now we are connected to your server and can start uploading and downloading files!
In this tutorial you have learned what a File Transfer Protocol is, you’ve either installed a FTP program on your computer or logged into the web-based FTP application your server provides. Finally, you have filled out all required information and connected to your server! Great work!